Sunday, July 5, 2009

Quinoa

Since quinoa does not come from a grass it is not a grain. Corn comes from a grass so it is a grain though I think of it more as a vegetable that's really good with butter and salt.
Corn and quinoa both pop when you eat them kind of like caviar does. I'm OK with the corn's popping but having caviar and quinoa ricocheting around the inside of my mouth wigs me out.
However, it's supposed to be really good for you so I bought some and cooked it up. Cooking it is easy - like a pasta or like a grain. If you cook it like a grain then you don't have to feel like you're pouring a lot of good nutritious water down the drain.
It's usually used like pasta or rice but I'm thinking its nutty taste would work well with maple syrup or peanut butter - maybe that would put a damper on the popping.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really do love that picture - because I can see why you talk about them as if they are aliens, but I also see exactly what I LOVE about quinoa - the POP!
the texture and the pop is an acquired sense (and the slightly, well, dusty flavor)but so very good cold in a salad with radishes, cucumbers and goat cheese!